back in june / on being a mother-artist













some photos to remember from the excellent event Child'sPlay organised by Maja Quille,in Basic Mountain space as part of Annuale 2015. small exhibition by fellow mothers/artists, super fun workshops for kids. F had a great time, so did i..

"Having a child made my way of working more efficient, being able to focus fully on particular piece in short bursts of time. There are some areas in my work that I try to keep seperate from my daughter, but that are still, naturally, influenced by this huge shift of priorities and dynamics of relationships that she causes every day. At other times I happily involve her in my work, and often quite literally. In the painting I'd like to submit for the exhibition I used her scribbling as background. I tried to keep to bright colour palette and child-like style while painting around her drawing, then I glued a deflated balloon with her scribbles onto it. I wouldn't call it a collaboration, I controlled her input in the end. Being only two years old she doesn't claim any ownership of her drawing, yet.
She is a huge influence; while watching her grow I'm trying to understand and capture her way of seeing things, and incorporate this experience in my work."

 (unfortunately i don't have a good enough photo of two more artists'  statements, i'll add them later if i can get hold of them)

Comments